3 TIPS FOR PET OWNERS
1. Don’t smoke around your pets, or if you do ensure it is in a very well-ventilated area.
2. Keep you marijuana products in secure locations, locked away from your pets.
3. If your pet has accidentally consumed marijuana, please bring your animal to the veterinary hospital as soon as possible and tell our staff immediately. We are here to help, and not telling us could be dangerous to your pet’s health.
IS MARIJUANA SAFE FOR MY PET?
No. Studies show that dogs have a higher sensitivity to cannabinoids than people… Pet owners should not give their pets any type of marijuana product, as it could produce a life-threatening medical crisis. (OVMA) Pets can get into trouble when they ingest the flowers and leaves, baked goods that contain marijuana, or when the smoke is inhaled. (Sask SPCA)
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I THINK MY PET INGESTED MARIJUANA?
Take your pet to a veterinary hospital immediately. Don’t be afraid to tell the veterinarian that your pet has accidentally ingested marijuana products—symptoms are varied and omitting this information can make diagnosing and managing your pet’s case difficult. Remember, your veterinarian only has your pet’s health in mind. (OVMA)
SIGNS OF MARIJUANA TOXICITY
Lack of balance and coordination, Fatigue or weakness, Excessive salivation, Vomiting, Dilated pupils, Tremours or seizures, Disorientation, Slow heart rate, Change in body temperature, Sensitivity to light and sound, and Urinary incontinence. (OVMA)
“The fact that animals react to drugs very differently from humans should always be taken very seriously… It is our responsibility as pet owners to protect our furry friends from any and all dangers that they may encounter. Most of our pets are high on life. Let’s keep them away from marijuana.” Dr. Lesley Sawa, DVM, Animal Clinic of Regina (Sask SPCA)